Take Me To The Picnic
Three Memorable Dishes to Bring to the Picnic Outing
From the crispiest, spiciest, homemade fried chicken to old fashioned potato salad and classic macaroni salad, these three recipes will wow the crowd around the picnic table.
Triple Dipped Fried Chicken
Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. Ready in: 50 min
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 ½ cups beer or water
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
1. In one medium bowl, mix together 3 cups of flour, garlic salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning in a separate bowl, stir together 1 1/3 cups flour, salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, egg yolks and beer. You may need to thin with additional beer if the batter is too thick.
2. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Moisten each piece of chicken with a little water, then dip in the dry mix. Shake off excess and dip in the wet mix, then dip in the dry mix once again.
3. Carefully place the chicken pieces in the hot oil. Fry for 15 to 18 minutes, or until well browned. Smaller pieces will not take as long. Large pieces may take longer. Remove and drain on paper towels before serving.
Source: QUIRKYIQ / Allrecipes.com
Old Fashioned Potato Salad
Prep: 45 min. Cook: 15 min. Ready in: 1 hr.
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup sweet pickle relish
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon celery salt
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
Ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup mayonnaise
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and chop.
2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peep and chop.
3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, relish, garlic salt, celery salt, mustard, pepper and mayonnaise. Mix together well and refrigerate until chilled.
Source: Jewellkay / Allrecipes.com
Classic Macaroni Salad
Prep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. Ready in: 4 hr. 30 min.
4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 ½ tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
¼ cup grated carrot (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento peppers (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and peper. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni. Refrigerate forat least 4hours before serving, but preferably overnight.
Source: Graden / Allrecipes.com