Smoky Mustard-Maple Salmon Recipe to Please Palate and Heart
Eating better foods can help maintain good heart health. Salmon is nutrient dense, being an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals (including potassium, selenium and vitamin B12). And most importantly, it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a group of polyunsaturated fats that are really good for you because they reduce the amount of hardened material that forms on artery walls.
Can you eat salmon every day for better health? Well, while some may find it difficult to eat fish every day, the answer is Yes! - with the aid of great recipes for dishes like the one below that is easy to prepare as well as delicious. Enjoy!
Smoky Mustard-Maple Salmon
Prep time: 5 minutes / Total time: 15 minutes / Yield: 2 servings
- 1½ tablespoons whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika or ground chipotle pepper (see Notes)
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 center-cut salmon fillets (4 ounces each), wild-caught and skinless (see Notes)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a small baking sheet or baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, maple syrup, paprika (or chipotle), pepper and salt in a small bowl. Place salmon fillets on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the mustard mixture evenly on the salmon. Roast until just cooked through and flaky, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried red peppers and adds an earthy, smoky flavor.
- Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets.
- Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (preferably Alaskan) is considered the best choice for the environment because it is more sustainably fished and has a larger, more stable population. Farmed salmon, including Atlantic, should be avoided, as it endangers the wild salmon population.
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Protein: 23 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 276 mg
Potassium: 434 mg
Source: Healthy Lifestyles, Sharecare Inc.